Monday, January 5, 2009

Checkin' It Out











On New Year's Eve, we made a little side trip up to the "Hollow" to see how the new construction was holding up. It was very peaceful with about 14-15" of snow throughout. Interestingly enough, the top of the bowery had only about 6" of snow on it, so we are assuming that it either blows off with the wind or might even slide off of the surface (but I doubt it).

We hiked up through the hollow to the cabin site to see the impact of drifting in the valley. The deepest we saw was perhaps 18" deep. The temperature while driving there ranged from 15 degrees to about -11 degrees in a couple of places . It made the 22 degrees at 9:30 AM seem like a heat wave.

The road was plowed by a logging company, one vehicle-wide, as far as the Timberlane turnoff. However, turning around was problematic since we had to drive all the way into Timberlane to find a space wide enough to safely turn around without getting stuck. We were grateful we didn't meet up with any one on the way in or out. We look forward to our next adventure at the "Hollow!"

1 comment:

  1. It is beautiful up there, wish I could have joined you. I can't wait to be up there in the winter, but I don't want to tent up there. You and Kev just keep checking out the cabin site :) I think we need to save our pennies for some snowmobiles and a nice big shed.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete